REVIEW: End of Month Reviews #49 - January 2008 [spoilers]

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at haven.eyrie.org
Fri Feb 29 19:39:39 PST 2008

In article <BAY105-W4987194FEF78FAB6FCAA26CA150 at phx.gbl>,
Saxon Brenton  <saxonbrenton at hotmail.com> wrote:

>[REVIEW] End of Month Reviews #49 � January 2008 [spoilers]
>
>     Coherent Super Stories #14  [ASH]
[snip]
>     However, I keep coming back to the 'communist' part of Darkshield's
>character description and think "Noooo...".  To me that feels like an
>element that would not sit well as part of the classic master villain
>formula if used in the 1970s.  In the end I have to say that 'The
>Idiot Plot' works well as a story (and as a pastiche) in the time it
>was really written.  And that I'm probably reading to much into it by
>wondering how the story would have flown back in the day.

     For a Marvel or DC book, it'd probably be about 5-10 years too early to
fly, true.  But casting Coherent as more or a Charlton-level publisher, the
late 60s and early 70s did indeed have this sort of storyline where the
patriotic hero was made to look at least a little foolish.  And within the
flimsy conceit I've constructed for some of these issues, it's clear that
Marvel and DC do exist, and Coherent is coattail-riding to a large extent.
But with a weird sensibility that lets them find a niche.

     Dave Van Domelen, didn't actually give it that much thought at the time,
mind you....