META: The Problem of Humour

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 25 16:12:46 PST 2008

I think the way I approach humor is to twist the expectations of the
reader and go in the exact opposite of what the reader expects... (when
it works out of course)...

Here are some examples...

The first example is a failed joke...

The Expected way to tell a joke...

Billy: Hey, Jimmy!  Wanna hear a joke?

Jimmy: Sure Billy!

Billy: Okay. Why did the chicken cross the road?

Jimmy:  Damn.  That's a tough one.  I give up.  Why did the chicken
cross the road?

Billy:  To get to the other side! *Zzingg!*  Drum roll please!

Jimmy: *(Jimmy thinks about joke)*

Jimmy: That joke didn't make me laugh, Billy.

See?  The reader is going to see that joke a mile away.  It's just not
funny.  When you read that joke, it kills a part of you.  A part of you
that's never going to come back.  Never.

Now here's the way I'd write the joke...

The Unexpected way to tell a joke...

Billy: Hey, Jimmy!  Wanna hear a joke?

Jimmy: Sure Billy!

Billy: Okay. Why did the chicken cross the road?

Jimmy:  Damn.  That's a tough one.  I give up.  Why did the chicken
cross the road?

Billy:  Oh Shit!  Someone just shot me in the... *(Billy falls down)*

Jimmy:  Billy?  Billy!?  Oh Jesus!  Who shot you?  Who shot -- Oh god!
Was it the chicken?  Oh god!!  You're really bleeding!  There's blood
everywhere!  I'm calling 911 Billy!  Hang in there!  Where's the phone?!
  Where's my damn phone?  Got it! 911! 911! *(Jimmy punches in the
numbers)*  Goddamn!  Some one pick up!  Hello?!  It's my friend!  He's
been shot!  He was telling me a joke -- and -- and -- someone shot him!
  Where am I?  I'm -- I'm on rec.arts.comics.creative!  The post?!  It's
umm -- hold on -- it's the 'META: The Problem of Humor' thread only the
word 'Humor' is spelled with a 'U' -- why? I don't know why?  I guess
it's some kind of Canada thing.  It doesn't matter why!  It's spelled
with a 'U'!  Just get here!  Quickly!  It's okay, Billy.  They're
coming.  Just hang in there!  Don't die on me, Billy!  Don't die.  This
isn't how it's supposed to end.  Not this way.  Oh god.  Please, god --
save Billy.  Please, God!  Because I have to -- I have to know.  I have
to know, God.  I have to know -- Why did the chicken cross the road?
*Zzingg!*  Drum roll please!

See?  That was much funnier than the previous example because no one
expects someone who's telling a joke to be shot before they can say the
punch line.  Well, maybe it's not that funny.  Maybe it's just sick.
Sick and Disturbed.  But if you happen to be sick and disturbed, you
might find that last example hilarious.

Arthur "And thus ends joke class..." Spitzer