META: The problem of "Good vs. Evil"

Jamas Enright thad at eyrie.org
Tue Feb 19 00:05:16 PST 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Tom Russell wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2:12 am, Jamas Enright <t... at eyrie.org> wrote:
>
>> Bah, "free will", don't buy it. Illusion thereof, yes, but actual?... no.
>
> Hold on a second there.  Are you saying that human beings are actually
> incapable of making decisions and controlling their motor functions?
> That we're unable to choose the words that come out of our mouths?
>
> Because that's what you're saying if you reject the concept of free
> will.

Unfortunately we again suffer from lack of proper definition, of "free
will", "decision" and "choice".

What I'm saying is that if Bob is presented with Choice A and Choice B,
and picks Choice A, there will be a reason for this. And that reason could
be determined before hand. (And thus Bob's selection can be determined
before he makes his "choice".)
We are products of physical and chemical reactions, which build up (in
ways, yes, that we don't understand) to produce consciousness and, at
least, the illusion of free will. To that end, what we do is a product of
those reactions, and so we don't "choose" in any higher-order sense of the
word.
(No, I'm not saying we are in a deterministic universe, quantum theory
proves that false. But as for an indeterministic universe...)

So far, the only scientist-type person I've seen wholeheartedly embrace
the lack of free will is Dr. Susan Blackmore
http://www.edge.org/q2005/q05_8.html#blackmore

--
Jamas Enright
Blog: http://www.jamasenright.com