META: The problem of "Good vs. Evil"

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 21:13:08 PST 2008

Also spracht Tom Russell (Mon, 18 Feb 2008 21:29:49 +0000):
> On Feb 18, 12:38 pm, Martin Phipps <martinphip... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> One strong point that needs to be made them is that creating a universe
>> with an evil LNH does not do away with the need to explore why the evil
>> LNHers behave in an evil manner.  It's almost scary, in
>
> Yes and no; if Lalo was simply using the trope, such as the way he uses
> the Living God trope, I'd expect there to be more exploration of the
> concept and be disappointed by its absence.  But here he's clearly
> making fun of the trope and so I think the use of parody exempts him
> from this burden.  They're evil in a "campy" way, as it were.

Why thanks, I was beginning to fear I failed to make that point :-)

The Evilverse should not be construed as a study in ethics, or a metaphor
for Nazi Germany, or whatever-have-you; it's a satire of DC's current
multiverse and, more than that, it's... hmm... The Addams Family in
planetary scale?

Oh, I could probably come up with a story explaining it.  I may even take
the challenge and do it just for kicks.  But it's not meant to be taken
seriously.  Maybe "pure evil" is one of the secondary usenet.versal
forces the Existants referred to, and the Evilverse is the world nearest
its "pole"?  In that sense, the question of why they are evil is about as
relevant as why Bugtown is violent or Looniearth is silly.

ON THE OTHER HAND... a story that makes people think is always a good
thing; "it made me think" is taken by most authors as a compliment.  So
if my attacking the issue in a campy manner (have you noticed how easily
they die, or even kill each other?) made you reflect on the more real
counterparts of "evil"... that's great.  It makes me happy, and I think
it's a worthwhile discussion.  I'll probably even write a more serious
post on this thread later, when I'm not in a hurry to go back to work :-)

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
                           -----
                  http://lalomartins.info/