LNH: First Person Shooter Man #1

Tarq mitchell_crouch at caladrius.com.au
Wed Dec 17 00:33:39 PST 2008

Whoo! Just got back from a Sydney busking trip; what a nice welcome
home present!

I've got to say, this gives us a really nice introduction to the
character of FPS Man. As a gamer and a lover of ye olde superheroes,
the concept is immediately appealing to me, and I've got to say that
the story itself doesn't disappoint or fail to deliver. This dude is a
living, breathing fragophile, complete a loveable HUD; in my totally
bad-arse opinion, the only fault this story possesses is that there
isn't more of it. Like I said, it's a great introduction to the
character, but perhaps more on why he chose to fight crime with his
powers (okay so it's an LNH story and it's kind of self-explanatory
but I'm trying to be critical here; why didn't he become a villain
instead, for example?) and more about this particular confrontation
would be good.

On the other hand, the style and tone of this piece really is more
casual and conversational, so perhaps too much detail would detract
from this. Personally, I think poetic licence would let you swing
either way, and I've got nothing against the choice that was made, but
my desire for more FPS Man now that my assessments are done (44.5 / 45
for Extension Maths, boo yeah!) leads me to wonder if "While his
cronies are stunned, I knock 'em

> out the old fashioned way, and grab the stolen stuff" couldn't be somehow expanded. Plot twists might also be a good idea; if you've access to issue 579 of 'Amazing Spider-Man', check it how it's such a simple storyline but they just keep adding more beef to it. "Oh no! The Shocker made the tunnel collapse! But that's okay because we'll go this way instead which is actually easier." It takes maybe three panels up, but it's one more obstacle which Spidey has to overcome, so it makes him seem like more of a hero.

All in all, in case you missed it, I really liked the story and can't
wait for more. =D