META: The Problem with Dialogue

EDMLite robrogers72 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 14:34:19 PDT 2008

On Aug 6, 12:52 pm, chrisoute... at gmail.com wrote:
> This is a newbie post, but I'm just going to jump right in.
>
> One of the big challenges is finding a way for the characters to talk
> like themselves and not like the author -- I think films are a good
> way to pick it up.

That's a really good point.  I've sometimes
found it helpful to imagine actors I know
playing the roles of the characters in my
stories.  I really struggled with writing
dialogue for Captain Continuity, for example,
until I decided he would sound exactly like
Patrick Warburton.  After that, it was a
breeze.

I think Martin does something similar in
"casting" the roles for "Superfreaks,"
which is perhaps why the dialogue in that
series comes across so well.

--Easily-Discovered Man Lite
--Sounds just like James Earl Jones on helium