REVIEW: End of Month Reviews #51 - March 2008 [spoilers]

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 8 17:31:11 PDT 2008

On Apr 8, 12:15 am, Saxon Brenton <saxonbren... at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Superfreaks Season 3 #14
> 'Extreme Returns'
> A Superfreaks [Superfreaks] series
> by Martin Phipps
>
>      Ah, more angst.  This is the final issue for Season 3

It really is meant to be the final issue of Superfreaks, period.  As I
said before, it's not an easy series to write and I'm not going to
write stuff, regardless of quality, just simply to finish off the
season.  Yes, I know I've been accused before of doing just that.

>, and it
> rounds out with a nice 'in death we are in life' theme.

Or rather it is what the title suggests, a parody of Superman Returns
with an added police investigation (as usual).  This time, it's an FBI
investigation into Extreme's disappearance.  Sort of makes me wish I
had watched more than a single episode of Without a Trace so that I
could parody that as well.  (I find Without a Trace a bit predictable
because they always find the kidnap victim and he/she is always okay.
I guess if the kidnap victim were found dead then we'd have a
crossover with CSI.)

If I have any regrets at all about Superfreaks, it would be that I
posted a few issues during Infinite April and I suspect most of those
never got read.  I'm particularly proud of Superfreaks Season 2 #8 but
I didn't even get one of Tom Russell's bullshit reviews ripping it
apart.  By contrast, I wouldn't have minded anybody ripping apart #9
because it literally took me minutes to type and I had so much fun
with it that if anybody had said they didn't like it I would have said
"Whatever".  It's only when I put a lot of effort into a story and
feel that I've done a really good job that I don't want somebody
ripping into it.  If I feel I've put my heart and soul (speaking
metaphorically) into a story and somebody rips into it then my initial
reactions include "Why bother?"

Martin