META: The Problem of Secret Identies

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 4 00:27:37 PDT 2008

On Apr 4, 2:38 am, EDMLite <robroger... at gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't imagine living in a city where my police department
> regularly shone a spotlight into the sky to announce that
> they were asking a masked vigilante to participate in a
> criminal investigation.  Then again, if I lived in the same
> city as the Joker, I might feel pretty good about that.

True and I suppose that was the rationale behind the anti-Supervillian
law mentioned in Tom Russell's Jolt City #10.  Of course, you would
have thought that anyone wrongly charged under such a law would get a
lawyer to question the constitutionality of a law that discriminates
against costumed criminals.  By the same token, Captain America could
have raised the constitutionality of the Superhuman Registration Act
rather than take the fight to the streets.  I guess sometimes
characters are required to be idiots in order to advance the plot.

Martin