LNH: Alt.stralian Yarns #14: The Ame.rec.an Dream

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 20 07:48:24 PDT 2007

The thing that continues to impress me about Mitchell is how quickly
he clicked into the vibe of the classic LNH story.  In this issue of
Alt.stralian Yarns, he keeps the gags coming quick and fresh.  Each
plot development is an extrapolation of a previous gag.  And there are
so many jaw-droppingly funny moments-- moments that at once make
perfect sense and yet are assuredly in the vein of the best nonsense.

The deaths that end the issue, the eating of the supersteer, the
licking of envelopes, the banishment from Alt.stralia-- each of these
moments is a marvel of plotting, invention, and humour.

I generally have trouble reviewing most LNH stories these days; it's
not that I don't like them.  Quite the contrary is true: I love the
LNH, always have and always will.  But it's difficult to _analyze_
them, to pick them apart and review them.  In most cases, they're just
pure funny, and there's nothing really I can say other than, hey,
that's funny.

I would like to say that I've enjoyed this issue of Alt.stralian Yarns
probably the best of all, certainly the best out of the Team Q
storyline.  It's the most tightly focused and, more importantly, the
funniest.

And the great thing about it is: Mitchell's just getting started.  Who
knows what glories await when he reaches the ripe old age of 20?

You've definitely upped the ante for AY # 15, Mitchell.  I await it
eagerly.

(Oh, and btw, thanks for the "UA" plug.)

==Tom