META: RACC through the years -- general overview

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 1 18:22:30 PDT 2007

Jamie Rosen wrote:
> I took some time today to total up the posts per year (according to
> groups.google.com) from RACC's inception. Below are the raw totals
>
> 1994 (starting June)		1783
> 1995 			2574
> 1996			2673
> 1997			3222
> 1998			2168
> 1999			1290
> 2000			 718
> 2001			 610
> 2002			 983
> 2003			 512 -- no month over 100 posts
> 2004			 598 -- no month over 100 posts
> 2005			 673
> 2006			1889
> 2007 (through August)	 853
>
> As you can see, 2006 represented a large upswing in posting compared
> to the previous six years -- totalling more than the previous three
> years combined, registering over 1000 posts for the first time since
> 1999, and the most total posts since 1998.
>
> The nadir came in 2003 and 2004 -- not only the two least populous
> years, but also the only two where there wasn't a single month of over
> 100 posts. The high point was in 1997, a year that saw numerous people
> (myself included) begin posting in earnest for the first time.
>
> Extrapolating out the numbers to date for this year, it appears that
> we will be on our way to cracking the 1000 post barrier for the second
> year in a row. Could this be a RACC renaissance?

I decided to look at what percentage Tom's posts made up 2006.

Tom had 789 posts in 2006... so that's like 42% of the posts...

So it's more like a Russell-sance... :)

(To be fair though Tom's only posted 184 posts this year... so only 1/5
of the posts this year)

(I've posted 111 times this year... for comparison)

But yeah... this group is a lot healthier than it was three years ago...

(Certainly a lot healthier than the Superguy mailing list, which seems
to be dead... last post in Nov 2006)

http://lists.eyrie.org/pipermail/superguy/

Still, 10 years ago the average age of a poster was probably in the
early 20s.... now it's probably in the early 30s....

Will it be in the early 40s ten years from now?

Arthur "When is it to old to RACC and Roll?" Spitzer