SG: Sporkman #3 - A New Hunch

EDMLite robrogers72 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 13:12:20 PST 2007

I'll confess.  I never had a chance to read Mickey Dunne's
earlier adventures back in the day.  In fact, until now, I'd
never read a Superguy story, despite having been active on
RACC for a few years.  I was always worried there'd be too
much backstory, too many in-jokes for me to understand.

But the title grabbed me -- who wouldn't want to read
about a spork-powered super-hero?  And once I began reading,
the concept of an idealistic young member of a super-team
who grows up to become a jaded loner hooked me.  I love
Mickey, I'm intrigued by Jeannette (whom I've chosen to
imagine, for reasons of my own, as looking like actress
Julie Delpy), I'm intrigued by Spponstryke, and I really
dig Number 22.

I also love the glimpses of the world these characters
inhabit.  And except for a brief mention of
"Mask Principle residue," there's nothing here I found
confusing.  This was a great jumping-on point for a new
reader, and made me want to read more of Superguy.

I'm also really impressed that you start a series with
two characters in bed, and yet manage to establish
sexual tension between the two of them.  Nicely done.

--Rob Rogers
--Easily-Discovered Man Lite of the LNH