META: Superhero Dewey Decimal Classification

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 14 19:20:28 PST 2007

Back last week of 9 Nov 2007 Tom asked:
> Where in the Jolt City Library, for example, would _you_ put
> Superheroes For Dummies?

Quick answer: Depending on the exact scheme used (see below), I'd stick
it under 308.8 or 308.9.

*Much* longer answer:

I did a quick perusal of the ed.22 Dewey Decimal Cataloguing schedules
yesterday arvo and last night, and I'll just make a few more comments
on my previous post before I have to leave for a big family reunion
this weekend (where I'll no doubt have to put effort into being
sociable for an extended period of time).

I still like the idea of taking over the currently unused 308, but upon
reflection this may be because of my bias towards superheros is making
it seem more important that cataloguers would consider it, even in
a world where superheroes actually existed.  No matter. As fiction
writers we can handwave it for a quick'n'dirty fix that looks pretty
(because the cutter numbers wouldn't be too intimidatingly long).

In any case, further thought on the matter of where 'superheroes' would
go in Dewey Decimal reinforces my belief that it ultimately is going
to be whether it's treated as an activity (superheroing) or a group
(superheroes).  I will continue to go with group as the main facet of
classification, because that in turn means that superheroes and
supervillains would be subdivisions of superhumanity, and that
method seems like a very Dewey Decimal approach to me.  However,
classification *is* multifaceted and interdisciplinary, so there's
every reason to have 'see also' references leading numbers that more
aptly describe actions.

A hypothetical classification scheme IMO would have 'superhumanity' at
the top, then various subdivisions of stuff relating to superhumanity
(which I don't have time to ponder on right now), with superheroes and
supervillains as some of the last subdivisions of the first decimal
place.  This reflects the fact that super criminals and supercrime
fighters are only a small proportion of the total superhuman
population.  This is something I know to be the case in the Eightfold
universe (the superpulmmer from _Speak!_ again) as well as the ASH and
LNH universes, and of course also something that Grant Morrison has
touched on in both the DC and Marvel universes (eg, the superhero
convention in _Bulleteer_ and the mutant subculture in _X-Men_).

Therefore the 308 section looks something like this:
   308       (superhumanity)
   308.1-.7   (various aspects of superhumanity)
   308.8      (superheroes)
   308.9      (supervillains)

Or possibly superheroes and supervillains would be lumped together
under superconflict at the end, so that as subjects superheroes and
villains go to subdivisons at the second decimal place:
   308.9     (superconflict)
   308.91     (superheroes)
   308.92     (supervillains)

Following on much the same lines, the 'superhumanity' division could
also be placed under the existing 306 (cultures & institutions) or 305
(social groups) - although almost certainly the cutter numbers would
have to be carefully constructed in order not to use up numbers that
already exist within those subdivisions and in any case there's already
a lot of crowding under 305.  So then, while recognising that these
examples are almost certainly wrong, here is what it might like:

   306        (cultures & institutions)
   306.1       (subcultures)
   306.19      (superhumanity)
   306.191-198  (various aspects of superhumanity)
   306.199      (superconflict)
   306.1998      (superheroes)
   306.1999      (supervillains)

   305        (social groups)
   305.9       (occupational & miscellaneous groups)
   305.19       (superhumanity)
   305.191-198   (various aspects of superhumanity)
   305.199       (superconflict)
   305.1998       (superheroes)
   305.1999       (supervillains)

(My statement in the previous post about using 307 (communities)
turned out to be wrong, BTW, because in the context of Dewey Decimal
"communities" is as much about the physical location as the society
that lives there.)

Meanwhile, on an interdisciplinary level of treating superheroing as an
*action*, costumed villains are most directly analogous to terrorists,
at least on a conceptual level of wearing easy-to-recognise costumes
that strike fear into the public.  So:
   303     (social processes)
   303.1    (conflict and conflict resolution)
   303.625  (terrorism)  [for which I'd include costumed supervillainy]
   303.69   (conflict resolution)

The 'see also'/'classify as' notes under 306.69 say that resolution of
a type of conflict should be included under the of conflict, so that
for our pruposes superheroes fighting supervillains would go under
303.625.  A 'see also' at this number also leads to 363.32 for
prevention of terrorism, which leads us to:
   363.3   (other aspects of public safety)
   363.32   (control of violece and terrorism)
   363.34   (disasters) (with various subdivisions on kinds of diasters
                         and of rescue operations).

However, while the conflict of good vs evil is archetypal to comic
books, it is by no means the only things that superheroes do, since
even under the 'protecting society' rubric there are also natural
disasters to overcome; and then there's all that exploring/discovery of
weird stuff that makes superhumans part of the 'Populatuion of Wonder'.
Protecting society would probably fit:
   361   (social problems & social welfare in general)
   361.7  (private action)
   361.79  (superhumans/superheroes)

---
Saxon Brenton