LNH/META: What are the LNH's Ages?

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at haven.eyrie.org
Thu Mar 29 15:48:22 PDT 2007

In article <1175199074.997881.105440 at y80g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
EDMLite <robrogers72 at gmail.com> wrote:
>On Mar 28, 6:15 pm, Arthur Spitzer <arspit... at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>I think the easiest way to determine ages is to ask the
>question "What series was Dave van Domelen working on
>when you began posting?"  (By that standard, I came in
>toward the beginning of the Constellation Age and shortly
>before his Patrol work, I think).

     Heh.  The main problem with that is that it tends to be kinda
front-loaded.  You've got pre-Dvandom (essentially just the Cosmic Plot
Device Caper add-on), paleo-Dvandom (participation in later add-ons,
miniseries, etc), Constellation, Constellation and Patrol, Dvandom Force and
ASH, Dvandom Force/Crazy Guy/ASH, DF/ASH 2, ASH only, ASH/Exarchs, ASH only
2.  But the last three categories cover something like eight years.  While
some of the earlier ages cover only a few months each (Patrol didn't even
last a whole year, for instance).

     I might instead look at the community in terms of imprints.

     Bitnet Age - Superguy/SFStory
     Usenet I - LNH only
     Usenet II - LNH split into related imprints, like NTB and OSD
     Usenet III - The cambrian explosion of RACC, with Patrol, Omega,
          Crossroads, ASH, etc.  Plus Superguy crossposting a lot.
     Usenet IV - The big die-off, where a lot of imprints ceased operation
          or largely left RACC (i.e. Superguy no longer crossposting as
          much).  Many LNH series wrapped up or just quietly ceased.
     Usenet V - The current era.  There's been some revivification, the
          stalwarts are still going.
     Usenet VI - Potential migration to a blog-based or webboard based
          community?  Or, at least, closer ties to them.

     Dave Van Domelen, considers Usenet III to be the "heyday".