REVIEW: LNH Comics Presents # 91 (ILC 56)

Martin phippsmartin at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 27 21:12:18 PDT 2007

On Jun 28, 11:46 am, Tom Russell <milos_par... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 27, 11:12 pm, Martin <phippsmar... at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > "Some authors are very good..." implies that "some authors aren't very
> > good...".
>
> I'm sorry if it came across that way, but praising someone does not
> mean-- and should not be miscontrued to mean-- slighting another.

It's true that "not very good" is not the same as "bad" but I always
thought characterisation was a strength of mine.  I don't mind people
criticizing me for not developing multi-issue storylines because I
admit that this is a weakness of mine.  (People have always told me
that my stories end too quickly, sometimes even abruptly.  I've tried
lately to write longer stories but, at the core, they are still told
as "stripped down racing plots" as Saxon once said.  Whatever: I have
a relatively short attention span and I write the kind of stories I
want to read.)

In any case, "Mitchell was really able to deliver with the PC Person
story-- less-so with the Bad Timing Boy one" is not a very
constructive criticism of Mitchell's Bad Timing Boy story.  Again,
Mitchell got the characterisation of Bad Timing Boy spot on so the
only possible weakness could have been the plot, which did get
repetative with bad things happening to Bad Timing Boy over and over
again.  I would suggest that if you are going to review one of Lalo's
stories that you refrain from making side remarks about other authors
and only mention other author's works in the context of an indepth,
constructive review.

Again, like I said, I made that mistake before. :)

Martin