[REVIEW/ACRA] End of Month Reviews #41 - May 2007 [spoilers]

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 18 01:33:41 PDT 2007

On Jun 17, 2:45 am, Tom Russell <milos_par... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 15, 12:07 am, Martin Phipps <martinphip... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > My point is that, legally, Martin's interpretation of the experience
> > is irrelevent
>
> I agree with you here about the legal/moral issue.  My point is that,
> story-wise, the legality of the experience is irrelevant. :-)
>
> > I'm not saying I don't sympathize with Martin: I'm just saying
> > that when you are writing crime stories the motivations and state of
> > mind of the attackers are ultimately far more important than that of
> > the victims.
>
> I disagree strongly.  Again, I understand where you're coming from
> appropos the legal issue.  But as far as storytelling goes, I'm more
> interested in what makes a person tick.  Suffering is a good way to
> find that out, and so in any act of violence, I'm usually more
> inclined to investigate the psychological and phsyical affects of that
> violence on the victim.  (Gregory Dingham proving to be the notable
> exception.)

I'm reminded about what you said earlier about "not leaving the room"
to create suspense.  I think you go too far in Jolt City: after nine
issues, you've been following Martin around and not only do you never
leave his side but you barely ever shift your attention to another
person's point of view.  Your last issue was a bit better in this
respect but with SPOILER dead I feel as though we never really got to
know her. :)

Martin