[REVIEW/ACRA] End of Month Reviews #41 - May 2007 [spoilers]

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 16 11:45:35 PDT 2007

On Jun 15, 12:07 am, Martin Phipps <martinphip... at yahoo.com> wrote:

> My point is that, legally, Martin's interpretation of the experience
> is irrelevent

I agree with you here about the legal/moral issue.  My point is that,
story-wise, the legality of the experience is irrelevant. :-)

> I'm not saying I don't sympathize with Martin: I'm just saying
> that when you are writing crime stories the motivations and state of
> mind of the attackers are ultimately far more important than that of
> the victims.

I disagree strongly.  Again, I understand where you're coming from
appropos the legal issue.  But as far as storytelling goes, I'm more
interested in what makes a person tick.  Suffering is a good way to
find that out, and so in any act of violence, I'm usually more
inclined to investigate the psychological and phsyical affects of that
violence on the victim.  (Gregory Dingham proving to be the notable
exception.)

==Tom