[REVIEW/ACRA] End of Month Reviews #41 - May 2007 [spoilers]

Martin Phipps martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 14 21:07:46 PDT 2007

On 6 15 ,   9 36 , Tom Russell <milos_par... at yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jun 14, 6:10 pm, Martin Phipps <martinphip... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm not saying that this is what you are doing but,
> > ultimately, whether or not Martin ultimately enjoyed the experience is
> > beside the point: what made it rape is the fact that he said "No" but
> > the Contessa continued anyway.
>
> Yes, but the point of the scene wasn't the "point"-- it was Martin's
> emotional distress and discomfort.  In most of my writing and
> filmmaking (less so, of course, in my programming), I try not to make
> points that can be summed up but rather to offer experiences for
> discussion, experiences that can alternatively elate and distress the
> audience.

My point is that, legally, Martin's interpretation of the experience
is irrelevent: he could have been having the time of his life but the
Contessa was legally (and morally) required to stop when he said
"No".  I'm not saying I don't sympathize with Martin: I'm just saying
that when you are writing crime stories the motivations and state of
mind of the attackers are ultimately far more important than that of
the victims.  After all, consider the reverse scenario: if Martin had
willingly engaged in intercourse with the Contessa but then decided
that what she was doing was horrific and yet _still_ didn't say
anything then the Contessa would not be charged with rape: Martin's
interpretation of the events would have been completely irrelvent had
he never said anything.  That's the law.

I'm not talking from personal experience here.  I'm sure my wife is
100% into what we do.  She says so. :)

Martin