LNH/Meta: kiwis

Jamas Enright thad at eyrie.org
Fri Jun 8 14:27:03 PDT 2007

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007, Lalo Martins wrote:

> So, I have a character in 58.5 who is a kiwi.  So I went netside to do
> some homework.  They have really long beaks, with the nostrils in the end
> (rather than the base, like most birds).  Wings so tiny you can't see
> them in the plumage.  And they come in different shades of brown
> (depending on the species; one is spotted).

And are nocturnal.

> Er.  Why are ours often described as green?  O.o  Are they maybe hybrids
> of the bird and the fruit?  Or maybe they just haven't matured yet?  Or
> they're radioactive mutant birds?

To quote from Ian Porell's first Kid Kiwi Kommandoes:

"1.  Kiwis are green.  Yes I know they're actually brown, but I kinda like
them green, so they are, in my stories.  And one particular kiwi, at
least, will actually eat roast beef."

--
Jamas Enright
Blog: http://jamasenright.blogspot.com