LNH: Limp-Asparagus Lad #58

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 30 17:55:00 PST 2007

Tom Russell wrote:

> On Jan 29, 7:06 pm, "Saxon Brenton" <saxonbren... at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Monday 29 Jan 2007 Tom Russell <milos_par... at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>[...]
>>Yay.  A Tom Russell review.  <glows with inner contentment>  Tom, of
>>course, puts considerably more effort into the mechanics of reviewing
>>where stories are working or not working than I do, and as such they
>>are less frequent because of the craft and length.  So everybody
>>remember to treasure them when they arrive.
>

> Well, thanks, Saxon.  I treasure your reviews, too, and for a few
> different reasons:
>
> 1. Your reviews make me feel appreciated, and stave off the "writing-
> to-the-void" effect that is so troubling.
>
> 2. You seem to "get" what I'm doing most of the time, and it's a joy
> to see you pick up on things that I'm trying to do.
>
> 3. You point out things about the characters and stories that I never
> would have thought of myself.
>
> Granted, this could be said for Martin's, and now young Mitchell's,
> reviews as well.  And I greatly treasure comments from all three.  And
> from anyone who wishes to comment, for that matter (yes, I'm looking
> at you, the seventy-eight subscribers reading this on Google Groups.
> Don't be shy!).

I think it's great what you and Saxon are doing on the review front.

I occasionally do feel some guilt for not giving people more feedback.
I think giving people constuctive feedback is pretty tough especially
when you're giving it to people who are posting their work for free
and not getting any money for it.  I mean tearing apart some comicbook
that I paid $3 dollars for is one thing, but how does one write a review
for a story in which you can't think of anything you like without
crushing someones spirit?  And it's rather hard for me to
articulate what I like and dislike about things.

Given a choice between writing fiction and reviews I'll choose fiction
because it's much more enjoyable and a lot easier to do.

Maybe this weekend I'll try my hand at some reviews... if I have the
time, which is always one of those things that prevents me from
doing lots of stuff...

>>You are correct as far as the Care Bear Stare is being performed *by*
>>Care Bears.  Within the context of their show the Countdown leading to
>>the Stare is a part of their schtick and is as rigidly structured and
>>predictable as, say, the transformation sequences in Magic Girl anime
>>like Sailor Moon.  You know it's going to happen, and if the aficionados
>>didn't get to see it they'd probably be disappointed.
>>
>>With regards to superheroes it means something slightly different: Care
>>Bear Stares, or plans, or assaults, or whatever, are an often derogatory
>>way of describing when the heroes combine their willpowers,
>

> Ahhh.  Learn something new every day. :- )
>

>>(Although the existence of the phrase is happenstance.  I read a while
>>ago a lovely quote by Carl Barks about his design philosophy for the city
>>of Duckburg, which was surrounded by all types of terrain and climates
>>to accommodate whatever Duck stories he might want to tell.
>

> Show of hands, how many Duck fans are there on RACC?  It can't just be
> me and Saxon... can it...?

I like Barks...

Once I had this idea for a story where I gave Ultimate Ninja a rich
uncle called Uncle McNinja the richest ninja on Ninja Island...

wReamhack, Cheesecake Eater Lad, and Parking Karma Kid would have
filled the role of the nephews...

Just one more idea put in the graveyard of my mind...

> Hmm...
>
> Maybe 8FOLD needs some talking animals...
>

>>Anyway, thank you for the review.
>

> Thanks for the story.
>

>>---
>>Saxon Brenton   Uni of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
>>   saxon.bren... at uts.edu.au   saxonbren... at hotmail.com
>

> ==Tom

Arthur "No time for..." Spitzer