[REVIEW] End of Month Reviews #47 - November 2007 [spoilers]

Lalo Martins lalo.martins at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 20:09:57 PST 2007

Also spracht Saxon Brenton (Sun, 02 Dec 2007 01:28:02 +0000):
> [REVIEW] End of Month Reviews #47 - November 2007 [spoilers]
>
> Reviewed This Issue:
>      58.5 #11-12  [LNH]
>      Beige Countdown #7  [LNH]
>      Derek Radner's Private Journal #1  [ASH] Kinky Romance #1  [8Fold]
>      Mr. Transparent #5  [Misc]
>      New Exarchs #4-6  [SG/LNH]
>      Sporkman #1-3  [SG]
>      Thunderclap #8  [Pincity]

Hnn, that was a LONG EoMR, thanks for taking the time to write it!

> This is especially considering that the ratio of talk to fight scenes
> has been further skewed by the fact that that the Geekobots/Yuppicons
> fight was summarily finished off panel.

Well yeah :-( I'm still trying to figure out how to write action scenes
that turn out interesting, when text is all the reader will have.  I
spent some time (years) working on how to do this with panels, but doing
it without the art is not something I have experience with.

It would help if people could tell me what they thought of the action
scenes I did write (Fodder/Kid-N/Green/Hyperbolic Boy vs. thugs, New
Misfits vs. Lion Pack, Fodder/Kid-N vs. Manhandler, although that one was
short, and Fodder vs. the poor trainees in #12).

Who knows.  The usenetversal cosmic entities gave us the flashback... you
may still see the end of that fight once I feel confident enough to write
it ;-)

>     I will quibble, however, as to whether LNH characters could only
> ever 'properly' access LNH2 and LNHY story settings and are otherwise
> only crossing over with parallels.  Since authorial approval was
> included in various LNH/Patrol, LNH/ASH, LNH/Superguy/ LNH/Eleck, and
> Crossroads/<whatever> crossovers (and it's telling how many of them
> involved Dave Van Domelen) then these crossovers logically involved the
> originals (and possibly also the appearance of the DC character Impulse,
> since Poet received permission from Mark Waid for the 'Sudden Impulse'
> story).

Sorry if you understood it that way; what I meant was "by default".  All
LNH/LNH2 stories can be assumed to be "real" crossovers unless otherwise
indicated, while all LNH/ASH can be assumed to be "copy" crossovers
unless there is indication otherwise.

And even then, you may be putting too much weight on the "copy" thing.
In many cases, a crossover may happen, as you say, "in parallel
multiverses" -- events that seem mostly the same happen in one
multiverse, between the Looniverse and the usenetverse copy of the ASH
world; and in another, between the ASH world and the ASH multiverse copy
of the Looniverse.  This could be completely indistinguishable from a
"true" crossover, or it could be evidenced only by subtle differences in
interpretation -- a single event may be described identically, but
characters later (after the end of the crossover) react to it
differently, presumably with the ASH-side consequences being more
seriously.  That being just because the "multiversal rules" in ASH are
different.

Then again... we're mortals ;-) it's probably safe to assume that the
"truth" (in-story) is much more complicated than that, and the Existents
had no good reason to spend a whole week explaining the intricacies of
panmultiversal cosmology to someone that, quite honestly, may well become
a threat to them later.

>      On other matters: there was also the bit about comedy and drama
> being two of the main organising principles in the Looniverse.  I'd
> never thought of them in quite those terms, instead tending to consider
> them as somehow being analogues of gravity, electromagnetism, and the
> nuclear weak and strong forces.

I think I remember some older material, especially from Martin,
describing the four fundamental forces of physics in the usenetverse to
be net-related things.  I don't remember all four, but lag (thus Lagneto)
was there.

> then hands over the Editorial Staff to Fourth Wall Lass

I thought Deja Dude was next in line ;-)

best,
                                               Lalo Martins
                           -----
                  http://lalomartins.info/