Meta: Tuckerizations and Character Names

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 06:23:18 PST 2006

Martin Phipps wrote:
> cabbagewielder at yahoo.com wrote:
>
> >      My point is Martin named a character (loosely) after me
>
> This is a lie, Jesse, and you know damn well that I didn't base him on
> you because I've already explained it to you through e-mail.  It's too
> bad, really, that I'm not in North America right now where I could deal
> with this through the courts.  Seriously.  Because I take extreme
> offense at your attitude.  I feel, quite frankly, that I have been
> punched in the face and, worse, I have absolutely no means to
> retaliate.  You know damn well that I was pulling names out the air
> when I wrote Superfreaks.  I don't have to apologize or make excuses
> because I did nothing wrong.  Accept this.  Then give me the apology
> you know you owe me.
>
> The LNH-Y story is a perfect example of what I was talking about: Tom
> Russell saw no problem with using people's names.  If there was malice
> against you then there had to be malice against everybody.  It goes

At the same time, I should have remembered that Jesse is touchy about
people using the name "Willey" and its derivatives.

He did seem less touchy about things that parody him without linking
his name to it: among other things, the Mark Evanier incident is what
gave birth (albiet eight years later) to Namedropper Lad. :-)

I think my basic stance here is, (1) let's be sensitive to Jesse's
wishes and (2) Jesse, grow up a bit.  I don't think anyone is
completely within the right here, nor do I think anyone is completely
within the wrong.  Let's try to bury the hatchet and move on.

At the same time, if you guys can keep this up, we'll  finally have a
viable nomination for Best Flame War. :-)

 ==Tom