Meta: Tuckerizations and Character Names

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 30 06:16:09 PST 2006

Martin Phipps wrote:
> As long as we are on the subject, Tom, are Ray Candle and Gregory
> Dingham Tuckerizations of Raymond "wReam" Bingham or is it just hard to
> come up with names other than Ray and Martin? :)

Actually, Gregory is my brother-in-law's first name, and I had just
seen "Bottle Rocket" for the first time when I started writing Speak!
So "Dingham" comes from the Owen Wilson character in Bottle Rocket.

Martin's a fairly common name, and I didn't mean to name the character
after you, nor did I intend Ray Cradle to be in anyway related to
wReam.  I just like the way the names sound.

But it is interesting that I have someone named Ray mentoring someone
named Martin, isn't it? :-)

> Martin

==Tom