[REPOST/LNH] Saviours of the NET #7: 'A Fight Scene!AFightScene!'

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Mon May 1 19:59:17 PDT 2006

On Monday 1 May 2006 Arthur Spitzer <arspitzer at earthlink.net> did say:
>Saxon Brenton at saxonbrenton at hotmail.com wrote on 4/30/06 11:53 PM:

>>For the most part I agree, although to be fair MTM did construct
>>W.I.L.B.U.R.
>>to take up some of the load when he wanted to get out and do some active
>>superheroing, plus all those gadgets to help him.
>>
>>[...]
>
>Yeah.  I can't remember anything that happened in that series.  Just
>a vague remembering that he hated his job.  :)
>
>I assume MTM knows that any AI construct will go evil eventually.
>(The Ultron Law)

Gosh, I hope not.  The 'urbane' in his name gives me the mental
impression of Robby the Robot in _Forbidden Planet_, and AFAIC he
would have very strict ethical programming that would prevent that
sort of thing (yeah, right, as though that's going to stop Drama if
Drama gets it's knickers in a twist...)

That said, being obedient to Asimov's Zeroth Law would mean that if
he was the only one left to fight off a genocidal villain about to kill a
lot
of people, then said villain is amout to be dismembered...

---
Saxon Brenton   Uni of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
   saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au     saxonbrenton at hotmail.com