META: Wish Fulfillment, WCs, and Mary Sues

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 14 10:01:40 PST 2006

Jamie Rosen wrote:

> After all, doesn't the above sound a bit like some Spider-Man story?

Most of the early Spider-stories are very offbeat-- something I'd
attribute more to Ditko than Lee.

> If you think about it, many good ideas are twists on previous ones.
> Heck, the Punisher is a variant on Batman -- instead of a child seeing
> his parents gunned down in front of him, a father sees his wife and
> child gunned down in front of him. It would be interesting to see a
> maternal take on the same idea.

Yes, it would be interesting.  If you don't write it, I will. :-)

For some reason, it reminds me of Medea-- which is really the story in
reverse, isn't it?  Instead of someone avenging the death of their
children, they achieve vengeance through the death of their children.

Now, that's a Tyler Perry movie I'd like to see.

That whacky Medea.

--Tom

"If a comic book, book, movie or novel is not somebody's fantasy
then who wrote it and to whom does it appeal to?  In order for a
shared universe to have a widespread appeal, it has to appeal on
a primal level.  If somebody says superhero comics are just 'wish
fulfillment' then he needs to explain what is entertainment that
doesn't satisfy our wishes and what satisfaction at all you can get
from it." -- Dr. Martin Phipps