META: Wish Fulfillment, WCs, and Mary Sues

Jamie Rosen jamie.rosen at sunlife.com
Mon Mar 13 13:58:42 PST 2006

>But when someone says Wonder Woman, I think of an invisible jet and
>Etta Candy.

To be fair, that's probably not the fault of the concept but of the way
it was handled. I can't help but wonder if she'd been allowed to go
into temporary obscurity (a la Martian Manhunter) or pass the torch (a
la Flash) there would have been a renewed groundswell for her. Or heck,
if she'd gotten the quality treatment Thor got over the Marvel
Universe, instead of cut rate chauvinism.

Who knows -- the same legal ranglings that required WW be kept in print
for so many years may have harmed her more than it helped her. Some
time off to become a beloved character to be brought back could have
recharged the creator's batteries.