META: Wish Fulfillment, WCs, and Mary Sues

Adrian James McClure lord_soldeed at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 12 14:28:52 PST 2006

I just wanted to let you know how much I've appreciated your recent
incredibly long essays.  In particular, the stuff about Golden Age
comics is very helpful for something I'll be writing in the near
future, which involves retcon Golden Age characters.

I'm not going to say anything about the characters in my own RACC
fiction, largely because I haven't written very much of it yet.  (It's
been two years since I last wrote an issue of Ultimate Mercenary.  Two
years!)  I will say that all of my major characters tend to have some
aspects of my personality.  I tend to be a bit distrustful of giving my
characters too much of what they want, which probably reflects the fact
that I have somewhat depressive tendencies in real life.

Also, I can't help but feel that another creation of yours who had
aspects of you at the point you created him, whether you were aware of
it or not, was Ultimate Mercenary.  Ultimate Mercenary is extremely
naive and exuberant and not the brightest tool in the shed.  He's
dedicated to living up to the ideal of Ultimate Ninja but doesn't have
enough self-awareness to realize that he's not succeeding.  Replace
Ultimate Ninja with Dave van Domelen and that's very much the portrait
you currently give of yourself circa 1997.  :)

(Have I really been away for two years?  Oh well...)