BP: Villanelle Villains #1

Jesse Willey cabbagewielder at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 19 02:04:54 PDT 2006

> is placed on the past tense in use.  It's only once
> we reach the end of
> the poem that we realize that we speak of the dead.

  The ending shouldn't come as much of surprise.  Even
before the days of Dylan Thomas the villanelle has
been used almost exclusively for subjects like death,
suicide and stuff like that.   While most of the
'confessional' poets perferred just (particularly
Plath) were fond of freeverse they were all fond of
the villanelle.

  Now, a few semesters back I took a writing poetry
class.  My research into comedic theory stated that
repetition was the source of great comedy.  I wondered
why nobody had ever tried a humorous villanelle.   So,
I wrote one.   And it drove the professor (and the
class) crazy.  I think it was because I didn't use
footnotes.   Of course, if I had used footnotes it
would have complete ruined the joke about hating
intellectual elitist metapoetry.  :0)