LNH: Onion Lad #9

martinphipps2 at yahoo.com martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 05:41:59 PDT 2006

Tom Russell wrote:

> But I would also argue that such a story would be ideally
> suited for third person: a chase scene, to my mind, works better if one
> emphasizes the physical reality of it, as opposed to more internal or
> emotional states.  And, as I stated before, the disconnect between
> Tery's persona and her true self might be both more readily apparent
> and more subtle if done in third person.

I disagree.  Again, I think Jesse was trying to be like Hitchcock and I
think, here, it worked.  I think that when a character is in danger, it
is a good time to move to the first person, to see things from (his or)
her point of view.  Third person is a bit more detached: the reader is
provided with information the character doesn't know; the reader is
then less likely to identify with the character's dilemma.  First
person doesn't work so well with description or exposition though,
because people don't think that way normally, especially in crisis
situations.

Martin

PS: Einstein should have give more credit to Lorenz for the development
of relativity, beyond simply creditting him with the Lorenz
transformations.  5 billion offended now!