[LNH] Deja Dude / Master Blaster Special #11

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 8 15:39:58 PDT 2006

Martin Phipps wrote:

>   "Superman heaves this big rock into space and then
> has it float away."
>   "So?"
>   "So if _you_ pick up a rock and let it go, what
> happens?"
>   "It falls down."
>   "Right.  So if Superman raises a big rock into space
> and lets go then it should have fallen down and landed
> in Metropolis and killed millions of people."
>   "But, Dude, he's Superman!"
>   "So?  Does the rock have the ability to fly too?  It
> has to obey the laws of physics even if Superman
> doesn't!"

If I recall correctly, Superman actually _pushes_ it into space.  But I
could be wrong.

(And, for the record, I think SUPERMAN RETURNS is one of the best
super-movies I've ever seen.  Certainly better than the last two
Superman films.  The film reduced me to tears several times, simply
because they had gotten things *right*.  It's the same reason I perfer
BATMAN BEGINS to the other four Bat-films: it understands the character
and takes him seriously and at face value.)

>   "Dude, you're _way_ too anal about physics mistakes!
>  I saw what you did to that story Tom Russell wrote.
> Dude... I think you made the poor guy cry!"

Though, come to think of it, Obscure Trivia Lad _is_ a shape-shifting
liquid-metal cyborg.  So even if my physics was wrong, Obscure Trivia
Lad would not only be able to break Adamant Authority-on-Everything's
nose, but would also be able to withstand any reactive force-- since
his limbs are made out of indestructable metal.  :-)

I always enjoy the DD/MB specials.  I can't really do an in-depth
review of them/character analysis, but they're very amusing and well
worth the wait.

--Tom