HYPE/MISC/ACRA: Coming in 2007...

Arthur Spitzer arspitzer at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 15 16:39:17 PST 2006

Once.

Once there was a girl who chased a great white grasshopper through the
great green grass of the world.  She ran fast, but the grasshopper
hopped even faster.

And as she chased, she tripped.

And as she tripped, she fell.

She fell.

And fell.

The grass turned grey.

The grass turned black.

*****

"You know what would be fun?"  That's how it always starts.  "I played
this game back in college.  Of course there were Jell-O shots involved
back then, but -- It's a fun game!  Really!  You see -- in this game one
person starts a sentence, but they don't finish it and the next person
finishes it and starts another unfinished sentence and so on and so on."
  There were a couple of sarcastic "That sounds fun," in the background
and someone else shouted, "The point?  How you win?"

"Well, this isn't really a game, which people win or lose.  It's just --
you know -- fun!  Some rules though.  No naughty words, or naughty
anything for that matter.  Let's keep this G-rated."  A few snickers in
the back.  "And, you know, try to keep it short.  Let's see how long we
can keep it going before Salty tells us to shut up."  Mrs. Harmony
smiled.  "Okay?  Okay, I'll start and then Robby will go next and we'll
sort of go counter clockwise around the bus."  Mrs. Harmony made some
gestures.  "Okay?"

"Okay."  Mrs. Harmony paused for second.  "How should I start this?
Hmm.  Okay, here it goes.  There was this bus full of school children
driving in a blizzard..."  Where do you get your original ideas from,
Mrs. Harmony?  Rose rolled her eyes.  "When all of a sudden...."

"When all of a sudden, a kid pulled out a gun from his jacket and
interrupted Mrs. Harmony's story," said a kid who pulled a gun from his
jacket interrupting Mrs. Harmony's story.  It was Stan.  Book nerd Stan.
  He had stopped reading Flogg the Barbarian and was now pointing a gun
at Mrs. Harmony.  And the strange thing was that it could be easily
seen.  It was no longer dark.  And no one, but Rose seemed to notice
that daylight was engulfing the bus.  Stan who never ever said a word
was now the only one talking.  And everyone was listening.

"Stan was sick of everything.  Sick of being called a loser, sick of
being called a fag, sick of being..."

"Stan, please..." Mrs. Harmony said making calming gestures with her hands.

"No, shut up, Mrs. Harmony.  Shut the fuck up.  Look, you've got a
choice.  You can either hear my story or you can hear the sound this gun
makes when it blows your head away.  Got it?  Now sit the fuck down!"
Mrs. Harmony sat down.

Rose felt frozen.  She wanted to be invisible.  What the hell was Stan
doing?

This was insane.  This shouldn't be happening.  School shootings happen
to other people.  To other schools.  And here she was staring at some
kid she knew.  Full of rage.  Holding up a gun.

No.  Stan wouldn't shoot anyone.  This was just a cry for attention.
This would end peacefully.  No one would die.  Yes.

*********

And when she woke, she wondered where she was.

She was in the grasshopper's dream.

*********

                            Coming

                           January

                             2007

                 Tales from the Gutterground #1:

The Runaway
       Chaotic,
           Sporadic,
               Traumatic,
                   Make-It-Up-As-You-Go-Along
                          Story
                           Game

For Mature Audiences only.

Arthur "Well, and people who like Sex, Violence, and Profanity also of
course..." Spitzer