MISC: GODLING # 8: BALLAD OF LONELINESS

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 20 21:49:06 PDT 2006

Martin Phipps wrote:

> I'm willing to give Jochem the benefit of the doubt.  Maybe he hangs
> out with "black gangbangers" and he's just drawing from his own
> experience.  If not then he's using a stereotype.

I think it's the latter case, but let me qualify it and explain myself
further because I think a simple sentence like "If not he's using a
stereotype" is a bit loaded:

The question is, if he is using a stereotype, *how* is he using it?  Is
he using it in a racist way, a way that denigrates an entire people and
culture?  Or is he using it to comment on that denigration and compare
it to a more inspiring alternative?

With a writer as iconic-obsessed and intelligent as Jochem seems to be,
I'd say it's the latter.

> Martin

Tom