LNH: Easily-Discovered Man #47

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 13 23:06:46 PDT 2006

SPOILERS.
.

Oboyoboyoboy, and here I was worried it was going to be another two
years between issues. :-)

The thing about the best installments of Easily-Discovered Man is that
you don't really have to have read the last issue to "get" the one
you've got in front of you.  By the same token, once you've reached the
end of an issue, you eagerly await the next one.  Really, it's got all
the benefits of the serial format, but none of the drawbacks.

Each issue is always about _something_.  This issue, for example, is
about Easily-Discovered Man Lite being the LEAST important person in
existence.  In fact, in every single itineration of the universe that
Professor Perhaps has witnessed, Lite always ends up the same old,
lonely man who smells like "old milk and mothballs".

On the one hand, this is pretty damn funny, and much of the humour in
this issue comes from contrasting Lite's zen-like sameness with the
whacky outcomes in store for his friends and planet.  (And, of course,
there's always the amusing one-liners and non-sequitors that give EDM
its spice.)

But on the other hand, it's also kind of a downer, in that Lite *is*
established (if we can trust Perhaps) as the least important man in the
multiverse.  I mean, this has existential crisis written all over it.

And, in fact, Rob Rogers is covering the thematic territory he touched
on with the last issue, when EDML had an interior monologue about his
life and where it was going.  In this issue, he develops it further and
along comedic lines, reaching a different slant on the purposelessness
of Lite's life: it's a liberating thing, just what he needs before
bounding off to the Apocryphal Universe to prevent the destruction of
all reality.

See what I mean about wanting to read the next issue?

----

And now for some backstory...

One of the characters appearing in this issue (and presumably in the
Apocryphal Universe storyline) is Betty Brent, aka Revelry Lass, one of
my creations.  As Rob points out here, she was one of the members of
the New Teenfactor, a storyline which ran from # 100-111.

Basically, the New Teenfactor storyline had two central conceits: one
was to make superheroes out of the Breakfast Club.  Betty took the role
of the Molly Ringwald character ("The Princess").  My idea was to
develop them along deeper lines, and I failed miserably.

My other conceit was that the whole twelve-issue storyline was one big
April Fool's Day gag, and thus the entire story took place in another
universe, never happening in the "prime" Looniverse.  (It was a stupid
reason to do the story.)

But you know what's exciting?  The fact that Rob Rogers is taking a
character from one of my stupid ideas for a story and using her as part
of a good story.  That's exciting.  (So was the Ike the Talking Pipe
namedrop.)

Now, the New Teenfactor storyline ended with (I think) three different,
alternate endings.  And in at least one of those Betty Brent died.  (I
believe she was force-fed sugary doughnuts until she went into a
diabetic shock.)  So it's safe to assume that either, a, that ending is
not the one that took place in that universe or, b, it's another
version of Betty Brent.  Which, given the central conceit of this
particular EDM adventure, is certainly possible.

In which case, it's also possible, that Rob has given her new powers.
I hope so: I originally named the character Confetti Lass and gave her
confetti-creating powers until someone told me that there was already a
Confetti Girl in the LNH.  I kept the powers (having already written at
least one story that pivoted on them) but changed the name to Revelry
Lass.

Looking back at it, I should have changed the powers.   Hell, looking
back, I never should have done the story.  But if Rob's going to get
some mileage out of it, I'm glad I wrote it.

==Tom

p. s.: WikiBoy cheerfully volunteers to assist Easily-Discovered Man
Lite on his adventure in the Apocryphal Universe, if EDML should
require his WikiHelp.