[REPOST/LNH] Saviours of the NET #7: 'A Fight Scene! AFightScene!'

Saxon Brenton saxonbrenton at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 30 23:53:22 PDT 2006

On Saturday 29 April 2006 Arthur Spitzer <arspitzer at earthlink.net>wrote:

[...]
>I would disagree with MTM being a cipher.  In Saviors of the Net I believe
>I compared him to the Norse God Heimdall (the God who guards the rainbow
>bridge Bi-Frost and will sound the horn when Ragnarok comes).  He's the
>LNH's guy who sits constantly in the Monitor Room waiting to announce the
>End or any Crossover that happens to come before it.
>
>I think it's been established (MTM miniseries) that he really hates his
>job and would prefer to be out on the streets fighting crime, but he also
>knows that the LNH needs him to do his job and that he's the best as what
>he does.  I don't think MTM has the ambition to be leader of the LNH.  He
>doesn't see that job as important ("any idiot can be leader of the LNH, it
>takes a real brilliant mind to do my job").  He probably sees himself as
>the most important member of the LNH.  The LNH can go without UN,
>Cheesecake
>Eater Lad, Kid Kirby, Dr. Stomper, Organic Lass, and the rest; but without
>MTM the entire LNH would fall apart ("who else is going to do my job?  That
>Clown wReamhack?")  He sees himself as the glue that holds the Looniverse
>together.  He's also kind of a mentor to wReamhack and Renegade Programmer.
>
>So basically he's a work-a-holic who hates his job and sees himself as the
>most important member of the LNH (he just thinks that though, he's not
>arrogant to actually tell his colleagues that).

For the most part I agree, although to be fair MTM did construct
W.I.L.B.U.R.
to take up some of the load when he wanted to get out and do some active
superheroing, plus all those gadgets to help him.

[...]

>Arthur "How about Pulls-Paper-Out-of-Hats Lad as leader?" Spitzer

A pretty big jump for someone who, during his first appearnce in
_Cauliflower_, had the line that this was probably going to be his first and
only appearance...  :-)

---
Saxon Brenton   Uni of Technology, city librray, Sydney Australia
   saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au     saxonbrenton at hotmail.com