[META] State of RACC address: March/April

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 19 22:57:55 PDT 2006

I'd just like to say that these last two months, there has been a
tremendous increase in the amount of interaction and the sense of good
will and community on RACC.  It's so heartening to see so many "2 NEW
of 2"s and "9 NEW of 9"s after each thread rather than old miss
lonelyhearts, "1 NEW of 1".

I'd also like to thank everyone for the comments they've made on my
stories, which certainly helps the old self esteem and helps justify
spending all this time and effort writing things which will never help
me financially. :-)

And that's just the way I'd like it. :-)

Make sure you spread that love around, though.  If you read someone
else's story, take a moment to tell them what you thought of it.  If
you don't have that moment, or don't have the words, just tell them
that you read it and whether you liked it or not.  Even though those
quick little "I liked it" notes aren't the most helpful in terms of
helping someone improve, it still counts.  I appreciate the reviews and
comments I recieve very much; I'm sure others who are not as fortunate
would appreciate them too.  So, like I said, spread that love around!
It's what WikiBoy would do. :-P

I want to apologize again for my behaviour back in '97/'98, the way I
whined about not having enough attention.  It was childish and, quite
frankly, my work didn't deserve attention.  At the same time, it did
launch a couple of threads-- one of which ballooned out of control into
Willey's LNHExtermination-- that touched on a major problem: that of
interaction.

I look now at the last couple months, and it feels like a new golden
age is upon us.  Maybe I'm being overly optimistic-- one of my flaws--
but I've got a good feeling about this.  It feels like a resurgence is
underway.  If not a resurgence of writers-- new blood!-- than at least
a resurgence of community, discussion, criticism, and interaction.

And we've got everyone to thank.  So, thanks everyone!

--Tom, now new and improved, with pants