[LNH] Limrick Lemur #1

martinphipps2 at yahoo.com martinphipps2 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 14 10:01:28 PDT 2006

Tom Russell wrote:
> Not to be confused with Limmerick Echidna. :-P

Eh?

> Goofy stuff, Martin.  One question, though:
>
> > There once was a lemur from Laos
> > Who liked licking lemon lollipops.
> > In Laos he lived
> > Until one day he did
> > Get transfered to a zoo in Net.ropolis.
>
> Does Net.ropolis rhyme with lollipops?  Does Net.ropolis rhyme with
> Laos?  Does Laos rhyme with lollipops?  Okay, so that's three
> questions, and it shows that I don't know how to pronounce Laos.  Or,
> perhaps, Netr.opolis for that matter. :-)

Try it with a lisp.

There once was a lemur from Laos-s
Who liked licking lemon lollipops-s.
In Laos he lived
Until one day he did
Get transfered to a zoo in Net.ropolis-s.

Laos is pronounced LAY-AUS by the way.

On the other hand...

>>Bring me an apple!<< Linguist Lass then requested
And when her request was then thus completed
The zookeepers said
That trained him she had
Not to say that this wasn't impressive.

is a bit iffy because "siv" doesn't quite rhyme with "ted"... although
it IS the same vowel sound (because the "ted" in requested is prounced
as though the e were a short i!).

Neverthless, I feel that some leeway needs to be given.  After all,
consider these lines from the Bob Jovi song Always...

I'll be there till the stars don't shine
Till the heavens burst and
The words don't rhyme
And I know when I die, you'll be on my mind
And I'll love you - Always

Does shine rhyme with rhyme?  Does shine rhyme with mind?  Does rhyme
rhyme with mind?  Uh oh... the words don't rhyme!  I guess he doesn't
love her anymore. :)

(Actually though, strictly speaking, the condition was that the heavens
burst AND the words don't rhyme so simply having the words not rhyme
does not mean he no longer loves her.  Whew!)

Martin