[LNH][blather] Mutants mutants everywhere...

Tom Russell milos_parker at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 09:53:39 PST 2005

Saxon Brenton wrote:
> Ahem.  Anyway.  Coming up at Marvel comics is their Decimation event:  All
> but a tiny handful of the mutants loose their powers/mutant status.  So I'm
> thinking: who among the LNH membership would be affected by this?  After
> thinking things over and doing some googling, I came up with the start of a
> list:
>   Limp-Asparagus Lad
>   Retcon Lad
>   Footnote Girl
>   Swordmaster
>   Curious Lass
>   Psionic Lad
>   Organic Lass
>   Tornique
>   Particle Man (but only his ability to raise Plank's constant to unity)
>   Dog Boy (I think) (but he also has cyborg parts)
>   Fuzzy (!) (according to the Drizzt's Defence Files)
>
> There are probably others that I'm missing.  Who else can be added to this
> list?

I suppose that depends on one's definition of mutant.  I've always
assumed that anyone who has some kind of power for which there is no
explanation/origin would be classified as a mutant, or net.ahuman, or
what-not.  So a great number of random LNHers might, in fact, be
mutants of some sort.

On the other hand, it also depends on your definition of powers; so
many character in the LNH, naturally, have powers that are somewhat,
well, slight.  Cheesecake Eater Lad, for example, has the ability, as
we all know, to make any kind of cheesecake.  Does this really
constitute as a power?  And does that make him a mutant?

I'd like to think that any of the silly powers that one comes across in
LNH stories count as powers, even if they seem rather suspect (like the
ability of Sleeps-With-Anything-Alive-Girl/Lass to... well... sleep
with anything alive).  In that case, Cheesecake Eater Lad does have
powers and, unless I'm blanking on an origin story, he is a mutant.

Ooh.

That's scary.

"A Day No Cheesecake Was Made!"

> ---
> Saxon Brenton     Uni of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
> saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au

--Tom Russell