[REVIEW] End of Month Reviews #18 - June 2005 [spoilers]

Jesse Willey cabbagewielder at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 3 06:44:34 PDT 2005

> Onion Lad #3
> 'Enter: Teriyaki Chick Part One of Three: Butter Off
> Dead'
> A Legion of Net.Heroes [LNH] series
> by Jesse Willey
>
>      In this episode Onion Lad is sent with offsider
> Peelix the Cat to
> investigate a bank robbery committed by Doctor
> I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-
> Butter. Most of the humour of the issue comes from
> interpersonal drama
> based on the notion that, annoying as Onion Lad
> tends to be, he can be
> made to elicit sympathy from the reader by
> surrounding him with even more
> annoying characters, such as Peelix and Ebonics Lad
> (who, incidentally,
> appears to bite the big one in a car explosion/melt
> down/discombobulation
> -- but since it doesn't specify whether the bomb was
> an otherwise
> conventional explosion powered by boiling
> I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Butter
> or an actual transformation into
> I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Butter, I'll
> reserve judgement until Jesse explains the context.)

   I MEANT to be vague.   Though in my mind Ebonics
Lad and the car were turned into
I-Can't-Believe-It's-Not-Butter.

   And why do you ASSUME that using Peelix and Ebonics
Lad were really my idea.  I *WROTE* it but the plot
was by Jesse N. Willey *AND* Dane Martin.  I pitched
the idea to Dane, he said: "Will Peelix be in it?" I
said "No."  Then he said: "Will Peelix be in it?" I
said "No." Then he said: "Will Peelix be in it?"  To
which said: "Why, yes, he is."   As for Ebonics Lad,
Tom had told me privately (and on the list) that he
wished he'd never created the character and could
somebody please kill him.   I thought since this
storyline was chock full of Tom Russell characters as
it was... it'd be the perfect place.

> The story closes with
> the appearance of Teriyaki Chick, with the hint that
> Onion Lad knows her;
> we'll have to see how her presence affects the
> dynamic between Onion Lad
> and Peelix.

  Give me thirty minutes...  I do the final edits and
post it.  Dane (the co-creator, co-plotting lunatic of
Onion Lad) and Martin (the guy who does my proofing)
have already given me the go ahead.  Of course, Martin
only said that issue #5 was funny... he made no such
assertion about #4 so maybe I should post that
instead.