[LNHY] I'm confused

phippsmartin at hotmail.com phippsmartin at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 6 22:19:17 PST 2005

Here's a co-incidence: if you're in Denver then today's Denver Post in
running a story on the Epic of Gilgamesh.  Apparently, a translation of
the Epic of Gilgamesh is now available in bookstores in a version
published just last year.

The amount of information that can be found on the net is awesome.  In
addition to the Epic of Gilgamesh, there are the six poems of Gilgamesh
dating back to 2100 BC, the Saga of Inanna and Dumuzi and the Epic of
Ishtar (=Inanna) and Izdubar (=Gilgamesh).  And, as you say, some of it
is contradictory.  In one version, Inanna kills Enkidu but in another
Enkidu dies accidentally.  In one version, Gilgamesh doesn't achieve
immortality and in another he does.  In one version, Inanna kills
Dumuzi and in another she rescues him from Hades.  Looking at these
stories is like trying to put together a police report: in the end, in
all versions, Enkidu, Humbaba, Gugalana and Dumuzi are all dead and
it's just a question of who did what to whom.  That Inanna comes off
worst in the Epic of Gilgamesh whereas Inanna comes off best in the
Epic of Ishtar and Izdubar could easily be interpretted as each of them
having given their own version of the events.  Google.mesh is based on
the story told in the Epic of Gilgamesh in which Inanna was a very,
very bad Goddess.  Knowing what I now know, I might want to do a future
LNHY story which portrays I.sig more sympathetically, perhaps by having
I.sig herself relate the events that Google.mesh described in
Google.mesh #2 but, as I already said, there's no need for me to adhere
to any particular "true" representation of her.

Martin