[LNHY] Mr. Serious, etc. Roster Entries

phippsmartin at hotmail.com phippsmartin at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 19:32:54 PST 2005

>APPEARANCE:  Looking damn good given she's five >centuries old.

five milenia

By the way, I did a google search for Dumuzi.  I came up with the
following from http://www.pantheon.org/articles/d/dumuzi.html

"The Sumerian form of Tammuz. A god of vegetation and fertility, and
also of the underworld. He is called 'the Shepherd' and 'lord of the
sheepfolds'. As the companion of Nigizzida 'to all eternity' he stands
at the gate of heaven. In the Sumerian Descent of Inanna he is the
husband of the goddess Inanna, the Sumerian counterpart of Ishtar.
According to the Sumerian King-List Gilgamesh was descended from
'Dumuzi a shepherd'.

"Dumuzi was originally a mortal ruler whose marriage to Inanna ensured
the fertility of the land and the fecundity of the womb. This marriage,
however, according to a myth whose denouncement has only recently come
to light, ended in stark tragedy when the goddess, offended by her
husband's unfeeling behavior toward her, decreed that he be carried off
to the netherworld for six months of each year-hence the barren,
sterile months of the hot summer. At the autumnal equinox, which marked
the beginning of the Sumerian new year, Dumuzi returned to the earth.
His reunion with his wife caused all animal and plant life to be
revitalized and made fertile once again."

Hmm.  No wonder Gilgamesh didn't want to marry the b*tch.  Anyway, it
is tempting to relate Dumuzi with Zeus but
http://www.mindspring.com/~mysticgryphon/hymns.htm actually claims that
Dumuzi=Adonis.  It seems there are plenty of mystic pages that take the
Ishtar=Isis=Venus thing seriously and actually worship the old bat.  I
think I am coming off a bit misogynistic so I will point out that
Gilgamesh himself was a pig.  Odd, really, that people came to worship
these people as gods, but there you go.

Martin