[REV] End of Month Reviews #13 -- January 2005 [spoilers]

Andrew Perron pwerdna at outgun.com
Tue Feb 1 15:12:56 PST 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 21:41:17 +0000 (UTC), saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
(Saxon Brenton) wrote:

> End of Month Reviews #13 -- January 2005 [spoilers]

<snip>

Dag, yo.  I have to go back and read some of the ones I skipped.  Ye
be making them look good indeed.

> Upon arrival they are given the direct answer that Normalizer and
> Cheesecake-Eater Lad had been co-opted in order to create a
> normalising cheesecake that could be used to cure the victims of
> net.ahuman experimentation. (I immediately thought of the current
> 'cure for the mutant gene' plotline currently running in Whedon's
> _Astonishing X-Men_ and started gibbering to myself about the
> possibilities if the recipe somehow got into general circulation.)

Well, the *recipie* probably wouldn't be that important, since you'd
need the Normalizer or someone with his powers to bake it.

> An Omega or ASH cascade would have a
> completely different feel of course, but frankly they would either be
> planned out behind the scenes (becoming effectively a multi-writer
> miniseries rather than a cascade) or happening over the imprint
> owner/editor's dead body.

...ASH cascade, eh...

> Half the time it seems that they're a short story with
> touches of deft but minimalist characterisation, while at other times
> they come across more as an outline of a story than the story itself,
> with the characters basically acting as talking heads.

Gotta agree here. `.` Not that I haven't been guilty of talking heads
now and then... >>

<snip all the rest!>

Andrew "NO .SIG MAN" "Juan" Perron, to the future!