[8FOLD/PRECOGS] April is Eightfold Comics Month

Jamie Rosen jamie.rosen at sunlife.com
Mon Apr 4 12:59:02 PDT 2005

> Interesting.  But what makes it different than the other universes?
> `.` I mean, it's interesting that it takes any genre, and has certain

> limits on who's allowed to be an author.  But what opportunities are
> opened up by writing within the shared universe, rather than just
> doing the story by itself?

Well, I hate to say it in a way that sounds condescending, but isn't it
obvious?

It opens the door for more collaborative work. For more interplay
between ideas. Yes, I *could* write Template as just a stand-alone
series, but the world in which it takes place would be poorer for it.
Already, the history of the Eightfold Universe is different than it
would have been if I were going it alone, and that will be reflected in
the world the characters inhabit. You can tell a story with a broader
scope much more effectively when the canvas is already present. That's
why something like Crisis works better than, say, Deathmate.

At first glance, the series involved will likely seem sufficiently
separate as to raise the question of why they take place in a shared
universe. But the way I see it, we're going into this looking to take
advantage of the benefits of a shared universe (see above) while
avoiding some of the pitfalls ("And what's her relation to Wolverine?!")