[BP] No-Point Lad and the Dismal-Hope Kid #1

Martin Phipps phippsmartin at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 12 17:53:40 PDT 2004

drtimphd at yahoo.com (drtimphd) wrote in message
news:<58265bf5.0409121032.2192358b at posting.google.com>...

> I'm not getting what MST means.

Mystery Science Theatre.  I think it ran on the Sci Fi Channel.

> I will take everything you've said into consideration.  I will run the
> spelling and grammar checks before I post #3 just for you.

Don't use correct grammar JUST for me.  You make it sound as if I am
the only one who cares about correct grammar.  Actually, I am more
concerned about a story being easy to read.  Look at Rob Roger's
Easily Discovered Man #45.  It was very funny and well written but it
word wrapped so it was difficult to read.  He corrected this and
resposted it.  Grammatical errors pose a similiar problem: they make
writing difficult to read.

It is a shame you weren't taught correct grammar.  I am not being
flippant about this.  If you write '"Hi."  He said.' then it doesn't
make a lot of literal sense.  Nor does 'He said.  "Hi."'  It would
have to be 'He said, "Hi."'  Why?  Well, would you say "He hit.  The
ball."?  See?  Doesn't make sense.  I hope I don't have to get into a
discussion about said being a transitive verb and that the quotation
is its direct object.

Would you believe that Jesse Willey willingly submits himself to this
kind of criticism BEFORE he even posts a story?  I really don't know
why.  It's not like we're getting paid for this.  I'm sure every story
I post has at least one typo somewhere.  It's not the end of the
world.

Truth is, I admire you for writing out your stories on paper before
you type them.  That takes true dedication.  Most of the stuff written
on RACC in the past was free form writing.  Doing it your way there
should be more opportunities to edit your writing though.

Martin