[REV] End of Month Reviews - August 2004 [spoilers]

Saxon Brenton saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
Sun Sep 5 18:43:40 PDT 2004

[piggybacking just a little]
Dvandom replied to Arthur:
>> Martin wrote:
>>>  Lowest common denominator?  Is that what the LNH/LNH2/LNHY has been
>>> this month?  Hmm.
>>
>> That's always been my target audience.

I'm not sure whether you're being flippant or not. For my part my target
audience has always been people who can understand all the superhero/comic
book references that I stuff into my writings - and while that's loosely
summarised as 'drooling comics fanboys', it nevertheless requires them to
be well read and at least moderately erudite drooling comics fanboys.

>> Looking through Google I find it interesting that there are no old
>> posts about the whole Woody Scandal.  Was the Woody Scandal something
>> that was just completely blown out of proportion?
>
>      I think it was more a matter of coming so completely out of left
> field, and also shocking the co-writers a bit.  At the time, the story-
> line in question was bouncing between (IIRC) four writers, a couple of
> whom were on the young and easily offended side.  Plus, for those of us
> who weren't offended by the content, many of us found the execution
> offensive on a literary level.  I.e. crude and utterly unromantic
> phrasing used for what was probably intended to be a significant
> character moment.
>
>      Of course, over in ASH, I've had someone use tantric sex to cure
> paralysis, and more recently have been dealing with the sex lives of people
> who are no longer organic, so I'm probably on that "jaded" side.

Maybe. Or maybe you just have the proper emotional distance from those
characters. I recall when you had the problem about how to do 'right'
the scene where Kid Pocky is seduced by the dream simulation of Kat in
_Dvandom Force_ #91, but they were, to some extent, Writers Characters.

I concur with your assessments about the WS, but in particular I think
that the 'execution offensive at the literary level' may have wider
implications for the type of genre we're talking about. The Legion is at
heart superhero parody and from there branches out in style. Some writers
are able to handle the change of style between anarchic and goofy
silliness on the one hand and more serious adventure, social commentary
&/or characterisation on the other, while other writers will not.
Moreover, there will be some readers who'll suffer cognitive dissonance
from that change, regardless of how well the combination is presented,
and that situation will reflect both personal taste and cultural
upbringing. (One of these days I really should borrow Cynical Lass from
Rob for a quick pointed comment about how the Americans seem to be happy
with almost any amount of violence but tend to get puritanical about sex,
while the Europeans stereotypically have the opposite reactions...)

The whole topic raises complex issues about how to deal with certain
subjects for the best (or from a cynical point of view, least worst)
literary effect. There are some subjects which are 'hot button' for
some people, and even some cultures, but which may or may not be taboo
in stories, depending on their treatment. And depending on whether the
treatment is between characters or between writer and reader, or whether
it's ironic, or relieving the tension of an otherwise serious scene,
numerous other factors, it's tricky to do humorous treatments of sex,
race, homosexuality, obesity, etc.

And of course, when it's done poorly, it gets accused of being (among
other things) lowest common denominator. It may be a function of RACC's
status as non-pro posting forum but which is nevertheless not a fanfic
forum that we angst about this sort of issue (as well as things like,
'is RACC dying?' and suchlike). Does anybody who hangs out on other
fiction forums know if other groups go through this sort of
introspection?