[LNHY/ACRA] The Daily Super Short-Short Story #36

Saxon Brenton saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
Wed Oct 13 07:02:51 PDT 2004

The Daily Super Short-Short Story #36

A Devil Came Down to Georgia 18

Last Time: Damian the evil sock found that he wasn't the only one taking
an unwholesome interest in Martin's new powers.

     Lisa led Damian back to one of the university science labs. There were
two other people there. "Everybody, this is Damian. He's agreed to help us
with the Martin Wryce situation."
     One of the two was a robed figure whose nature the wondersock
recognised by the psychic signature, but which was totally concealed from
the audience. (For now. See contest details at end of story.) "This is
Tsurlich," Lisa said.
     "Hello Damian," said Tsurlich, nodding.
     "And this is Kien," Lisa added, indicating a slim young Asian man.
     Damian's faux features moulded themselves into a frown of puzzlement.
"You seem mostly human," the sock commented.
     "For the most part, I am," Kien said with a perfunctory bow. "I am
a tulpa."
     "That's not a type of monster that I've heard of," admitted Damian.
"Doesn't that mean...?"
     " 'Thought form' in Tibetan, yes. You're right of course, strictly
speaking it's not a type of monster at all," Kien agreed with a satisfied
smirk. "One of the spiritual practices of the Buddhist monks is to visualise
their own failings and sins - externalise them so to speak - and then cast
them out as a way of resisting temptations. Unfortunately one young priest
turned out to be a mutant whose powers of psychoprojection made the
visualisation of his own darker impulses just a little bit more concrete
and self-aware than the simple abstract symbol he was expecting. Before he
could get rid of me I ate his soul and took over his body for myself."
     "Now there's a story to warm the heart."
     "Thank you," smiled Kien. "We also have someone else for you to meet."
     "Oh?" said Damian as they moved into the next room.
     "We anticipated that you might be weakened from a confrontation with
the boy," said Tsurlich. "We took the liberty of getting you a mount."
     And there, sitting naked in a cage that was too small for him to
stand up in, was TJ. Alive, if not necessarily the better for wear, and
watching the nightsiders carefully but still with some trepidation.
     "We repaired him, as you can see," said Kien.
     "But not completely," observed Damian, pointedly referring to his
complete lack of genitals.
     Lisa shrugged. "Enough to keep him alive. There was no point in
putting back unnecessary bits." She narrowed her eyes thoughtfully. "I
find his attitude interesting. He's obviously scared, but he doesn't seem
be as submissive as humans normally get."
     Damian knew what she was talking about. Properly broken humans tended
to be very subdued, kept their heads down, and didn't take as much interest
in their surroundings as TJ did. He also knew what the explanation was,
having rummaged around in the young man's head. "He doesn't quite think
like most humans," the sock said. "He was abused when he was younger, and
part of him is broken."
     "What, *another* abused altar boy?" asked Tsurlich, deadpan.
     That garnered a metaphorical raised eyebrow from Damian. Lisa caught
the expression, and explained with a hint of irritation: "The spread of
sin from the abuse of trust may be very important, but after a while you
begin to wonder if the reputation of humans for being really creatively
nasty to one another is all that it's cracked up to be, when *all* you
seem to find is priests molesting children."
     Damian smiled. "Well then, marvel at something new under the sun," he
said, "because Timmy-Joe here *wasn't* anally raped until his bum bled."
     "He wasn't?"
     "No," said the sock, and explained.
     When he was done the others smiled with pleased incredulity. "Ah,
now *that's* got chutzpah," said Lisa with satisfaction. "Upfront, proud
of what they did, and none of this skulking about and being embarrassed
about it."
     "They did try to keep it hidden," disagreed Kien.
     "I think that with time they'd have gotten more open about it," said
Damian. "Humans have this wonderful habit of making things seem normal.
In time they probably would have tried to mobilise opinion in their
favour, and get the rest of the country to support them."
     "We could hope so," agreed Lisa. "The amount of damage we could
wreak with something on that scale woul be wonderful."

Tomorrow: Uhm. Maybe an issue focusing on TJ, or maybe we'll jump back
and see what Martin's doing.

Contest Time! What is Tsurlich?
     I've known for about a week in advance that Damian would meet up
with a diverse group of other diabolicals, and have been skimming through
various reference books looking for ideas (which is where the usurping
tulpa idea came from). I was planning on a group of four (including
Damian), probably with an even split of male/female. But despite a wealth
of choices, I just couldn't make up my mind on what the fourth member
would be. So I decided to ask the Readers.
     So crank up your idea generators and over the next few days I'll be
taking suggestions. Responses to RACC will be preferred (and don't forget
to keep the crosspost to alt.comics.lnh, which really needs some relief
from the spham). I don't know whether I'm looking for a consensus from the
rest of you, or just a spiffy idea that happens to take my fancy. Whatever.
Should Tsurlich be a succubus? A lilim? A troll wife? A fox woman? A ninya?
A spham elemental? A smurf? A deep one? A superintelligent shade of the
colour blue? Something else?
     So. A short description please - especially for anything *really*
exotic that I might need to look up - and perhaps even a funky Looniverse Y
name that'll get you a citation just like the one that Andrew has to put
up with for the Teenaged Giant Halfbreed Angels. Yay!
     And if nothing else, this might help me gauge how many people are
reading this series. (Naughty Saxon! Naughty sneaky duplicitous self-
serving Saxon!)
     I'll probably use the final answer sometime mid next week, around
the 20th or 21st, so you have until then.

The Daily Super Short-Short Story series and the wondersocks created by
Arthur Spitzer, and used with belated permission.

-----
Saxon Brenton    University of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
     saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
The Eyrie Archives of Russ Allbery which collect the online superhero
fiction of the rec.arts.comics.creative newsgroup can be found at:
     http://archives.eyrie.org/racc/