[LNHY/ACRA] The Daily Super Short-Short Story #63 [Long, again]

Eagle eagle at eyrie.org
Wed Nov 24 19:10:49 PST 2004

phippsmartin <phippsmartin at hotmail.com> writes:

> Well, it does bring up an interesting point of discussion.  Was the
> Sumarian civilization wiped out by a flood?

There is some archeological evidence for two significant local floods in
that area, either of which may be the underlying historical event behind
the Biblical flood account (probably with some intervening oral retellings
before the account was written down).  There was a significant flooding
and expansion of the Black Sea around 5600 BC at the end of an ice age,
and it's believed that the Persian Gulf was dry land during the ice age
period at around 10000 BC and at some point reflooded.

I think both of those events are a bit early for a wiping out of Sumerian
civilization, though (and unless I'm misremembering my geography, the
Black Sea flood was a little far north for that).

--
Eagle (eagle at eyrie.org)                            Windrider of Crossroads
<http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>          rec.arts.comics.creative moderator