[LNHY/ACRA] The Daily Super Short-Short Story #58

Saxon Brenton saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
Tue Nov 9 12:43:18 PST 2004

Andrew Perron <pwerdna at outgun.com> wrote:
>>The Daily Super Short-Short Story #58
>
> Wow.  We've gone from "dark and gritty" to "whimsical".  I like. `.`v

   Well, I'm glad you still like it. For my part I'm a bit disgruntled.
This is another problem with a daily format that I should have thought
to include in the commentary in the Oct EndOfMonthReviews: that mood
can wander all over the place if you're not careful. I'm pretty sure
I've got plot under control, and pacing is so-so, but in retrospect the
mood for that issue should probably have been a bit darker up until the
arrival of Jesus at the end. <shrug> The demonic pillow was a reference
back to a Byrne issue of Wonder Woman were Artemis (sp?) was being
similarly tortured by a demon who was retconned in as long time Etrigan
the Demon support character Harry the Pillow - and I was going to satirise
it with semi-pornogarphic descriptions of Martin's "sweaty young limbs
of his half naked body writhing lithesomely under this pain which he
could barely endure" before then switching tack and saying, no, making it
a male protagonist doesn't make it any more titillating than it does with
a female.
    Not that the series shouldn't be lightening up just a tad at this
stage, but that comes more from the fact that the protagonists have gotten
to the point where they'll at least work with each other without too much
yelling. But there's a line between surreal and whimsical, and I guess
that would be how you use the story elements, not what they are.

---
Saxon Brenton     Uni of Technology, city library
saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au