[LNHY/ACRA] The Daily Super Short-Short Story #51 [long]

Martin Phipps phippsmartin at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 9 02:38:56 PST 2004

saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au (Saxon Brenton) wrote in message news:<15f3bff1.0410311521.62e70fa at posting.google.com>...

>      In August of 1988 the then president George Bush Sr said that as
> far as he was concerned atheists didn't deserve citizenship of the United
> States.

I found this quote from Dan Quayle:

"I pledge allegiance to the Christian flag and to the Savior, for
whose Kingdom it stands, one Savior, crucified, risen, and coming
again, with life and liberty for all who believe."

Compare this to the original pledge of allegiance from 1892:

"I pledge allegiance to my flag and to the republic for which it
stands: one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The words "under God" were not added to the Pledge of Allegiance until
1954.

Apparently people like Bush and Quayle believed that "life and
liberty" were the rights of "all those who believe" and that the rest
of us didn't matter.  This was clearly never the intention of the
founding fathers of the United States.

Martin