[LNHY/ACRA] The Daily Super Short-Short Story #58

Saxon Brenton saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
Mon Nov 8 17:27:13 PST 2004

The Daily Super Short-Short Story #58

A Devil Came Down To Georgia 40

Last Time: Beel.gzip.bub, the Lord of the Files, arrived and upset the
plans of everybody else.

     .oO( Okay. So. We're in Hell, ) thought Delroy through the pain.
( I guess things *can* keep getting worse. )
     Strictly speaking TJ and himself should have been dying horribly
of the poisons that Lisa had infected them with. However, after
Beel.gzip.bub had teleported them all to his netherwordly demesne (in
an overdone wash of flames, thought Delroy sourly), it had turned out
that eternal suffering rather than actual death was the order of the
eternity, and so the two of them now had to put up with the slow,
unscratchable-itch-like discomfort of being envenomed without having
to worry about actually dying of it. Oh joy.
     So here they were, hanging upside, forced to watch the entertainment.
     The entertainment consisted of Martin being tortured by demons in
a particularly John Byrne-like fashion. Yes, he had a cackling demonic
pillow sitting on his face, suffocating him. A pity Beel.gzip.bub had
neutralised Martin's powers when he'd had him shackled to that rack,
otherwise Martin could had grown breathing vents for himself else-
here. Meanwhile a demonic teddy bear was methodically disembowelling
the young man. It wasn't a pretty sight, even with the inclusion of
techno-organic bits.
     Beel.gzip.bub, meanwhile, was gloating. "You know," he said to
Martin from where he was seated on his granite throne, "Dragging you
down here wouldn't have been anywhere near so easy if you hadn't
insisted on not losing your friends. The psychic inertia of the
Benandanti is enormous, but you allowed yourself to be dragged along
simply so that you could keep Lisa from harming them. And look what
good it's done you. Oh, I do so love heroes; always throwing themselves
into hopeless causes without thought of strategy or tactics." Then he
looked thoughtful, and turned to look for Lisa and Kien, who were
standing off to one side, also watching the show.
     "And what of you two?" asked Beel.gzip.bub. "Knowingly or not,
you did help create the situation that was able to trap this placing-
piece of the Light. Some rewards are in order. Within reason of course.
What would interest you? Wealth beyond the dreams of avarice? Perhaps a
Title here in Hell?"
     Lisa and Kien exchanged glances. Lisa looked calculating, then
said, "A payment for services rendered would be nice, and we can discuss
what would be reasonable to all parties. However, I understand that
there are always *independent* contracts for work going."
     Beel.gizp.bub nodded. Evil, by its nature, was fractious and
always splitting off into newer and smaller groups. The various gangs
of younger diabolicals, of which Lisa's group was but one, were numerous
examples. The Dark Lords of Hell preferred a more feudal approach, with
as many entities under their direct control as possible. However, they
had also recognised long ago attempting to cement absolute control of
the other factions of Evil before they had finished their war with Good
simply gave their main opponents an advantage, As a result, the Dark
Lords had simply made arrangements to subcontract out for certain
mercenary groups among the independents of their own pantheon and those
of other mythologies. If nothing else it gave them the options of
plausible deniability if they ever needed it.
     However, before the negotiations could advance any further, a new
voice said, "You know, that's, like, just so amazing uncool, man."
    Beel.gzip.bub cringed in surprise and horror at the sight of a
semitic looking young man in rainbow coloured tie-dyed jeans and
t-shirt, and who was smoking a joint.
     "Jesus Christ!" exclaimed the demon lord.
     "That's right. So, like, you'd better let all these boys go before
I lose my mellow and go righteous on your hash."

Tomorrow: You remember how Arthur was labelling the posts of the first
story arc, in the Garden of Party Time, as probably being a danger to
your soul if you read them? Yeah, well, tomorrow's post is going to be
a bit like that.

The Daily Super Short-Short Story series created by Arthur Spitzer, and
used with belated permission.

All main characters created by Saxon Brenton are Ask First Before Use
for the duration of this storyline, then they'll probably go to Usable
Without Permission.

-----
Saxon Brenton     University of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
     saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
The Eyrie Archives of Russ Allbery which collect the online superhero
fiction of the rec.arts.comics.creative newsgroup can be found at:
     http://archives.eyrie.org/racc/