[Admin/RACCies] RACCies announcement/discussion prompt

Saxon Brenton saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
Fri Nov 5 14:16:57 PST 2004

.    It's coming up towards the time when the call for nominations for
the annual RACCies awards will be called, sometime mid-to-late this month.
As most of you will be aware, I was the only volunteer for the... honour...
of running the RACCies. I've been toying with various subplot/gag lines
for the awards presentations, but another topic has intruded into my
consciousness, and this is: declining voting numbers.
     Exact numbers are not available to me, but previous RACCies
moderators (as well as Dvandom for the ASH-imprint-specific and recently-
discontinued URNs) have commented on declining voter numbers. From
comments made by Jamie and Dvandom I understand that numbers are usually
at a half dozen or less.
     Off the top of my head I have no particular ideas for increasing
that trend in the long term, since even another issue of Remember-To-
Vote-At-The-RACCies-Or-I'll-Rip-Your-Arms-Off Man would probably just be
another moderately amusing stunt. Therefore, pending discussion with you,
my peers on rec.arts.comics.creative, I provisionally intend to run the
RACCies for three years, and then discontinue the awards.
     Other than expressions of regret, are there any comments on this?
Are there any egregious errors to my reasoning which would be grounds
for indefinite continuance of the annual awards?

Saxon Brenton    University of Technology, city library, Sydney Australia
     saxon.brenton at uts.edu.au
The Eyrie Archives of Russ Allbery which collect the online superhero
fiction of the rec.arts.comics.creative newsgroup can be found at:
     http://archives.eyrie.org/racc/