[META] Re: REVIEW: End of Month Reviews - May 2004 [spoilers]

Dave Van Domelen dvandom at haven.eyrie.org
Thu Jun 3 01:37:50 PDT 2004

In article <Pine.LNX.4.44.0406012325040.3036-100000 at haven.eyrie.org>,
Jamas Enright  <thad at eyrie.org> wrote:
>This brings up a question of: how often do people post (when they have
>stuff to post)?
>I am currently on every fortnight, but I may slow down as once a month is
>good enough for most comics! I have written far ahead ('cos I'm trying to
>get back into writing), but think spacing it out is a good way to go. No
>need to overload readers.

     Normally, "when inspired".  Lately I've been putting out ASH on a
monthly basis, coming out the third week of the month for the past 4 issues,
but that's something of a fluke.  I tend to write best at work, which means
writing mainly when work is slow, and that comes intermittently.

>There is also a related question, which Martin brought up last time: how
>do people know when they've written enough for an issue?
>Martin said he writes until about 10K. I used to be going for 500 lines,
>but now am happy to stop when the story does. And Saxon tends to hit his
>max fairly easily. :)

     I generally shoot for 450-550 lines in ASH, around 300 in Exarchs.  I
outline the issue before writing it, putting in scene headers and brief (or
not so brief) descriptions of the scene.  ASH #44 includes that issue's
outline as a special feature.  Sometimes I'll go back and add or delete a
scene if it looks like I'll fall too far away from the desired linecount
(deleted scenes usually end up in the next issue).

     Dave Van Domelen, needs to get around to outlining ASH #50, and hoping
to get some of the other ASH writers to do scenes for it.